Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Baby Formula

I have had a great morning. Trent has been a bit moody. (He has a bit of cold coming on) But we have got some nap time in and cuddle time. I was thinking as he sat in his little chair squirming a bit that it is amazing how much Formula costs. Now if you are able to nurse then more power to you but if you can't then you will have a new cost in your budget that may control your life. Trent received breast milk until he came home from the hospital. I was not getting enough to satisfy him. Since he was premature the doctor has kept us on a special formula. One that only comes in the smaller can and only lasts 2 1/2 days. Of course I am paying for the formula because my son means the world to me. But I can't help to think that we are being ripped off by these companies in order to feed our precious babies. Many people qualify for WIC which helps a ton. In my case we don't make a ton of money and both Greg and I work to cover our expenses. (Greg actually works two jobs) But we make to much to qualify for WIC. Now many of the formula companies send out coupons to help but they don't last long. Greg and I were so excited when they came in the mail. We received 3 $5 coupons. I do have many coupons for other brands and hopefully I will get to use them later. I'm sure it doesn't cost $15 dollars to make that small can. I wish they would just make the cost of the formula less and not spend so much on marketing which includes sending out coupons and wasting paper. If anyone out there knows any secrets to buying formula that I have missed let me know. But for now I will continue to pay for formula so my little one will grow.

3 comments:

Steve & Kim said...

Silly girl! I have more coupons and I am more than willing to give you some! Let me know if your interested.

I guess we are fortunate to be breast feeding right now, it is ridiculous the cost of formula. Obviously moms will pay the price for their babies to eat. Which is why these formula companies can get away with it.

Sara said...

Hey Jeana, Your blog is so cute! Try signing up at different formula companies websites and they will start sending you formula and coupons in the mail. Once Trent doesn't have to use the special formula this will come in especially handy because they send a ton of free formulas of different varieties. I still have milk based formula from when Elise was a baby. they also sent soy formula which is what she used. Also try googling baby formula coupons and you can check ebay for to buy coupons. Good Luck!

Mary DeMann said...

Jeana- I feel your pain. Truthfully kids just get more and more expensive. I think you are correct though- formula is like liquid gold!